This simple dish makes a nice lunch or informal dinner. It is sort of the Sicilian version of Shepherd’s Pie and is perfect with just a nice salad and some crusty Italian bread.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes – scrubbed
- 3 eggs – large
- 2 tb butter
- 1 lb ricotta – whole milk
- pinch of nutmeg – or more, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup breadcrumbs – divided
- ½ lb genoa salami
- 3 eggs – hardboiled – sliced
- 3 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Boil the potatoes in their skins in a large pot of salted water.
- Mash them with a hand masher or with a ricer and combine them with the 3 raw eggs, 2 tablespoons butter, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Oil a 3-quart casserole and line it with half of the breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half of the potato mixture into the dish, carefully spreading it over the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the salami and the hard-cooked egg slices on top and cover all with the rest of the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the breadcrumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, until the top is puffed and golden brown.