This is a special dish and takes a little work but the results are very impressive!
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt– to your taste
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- 2 tbs butter – unsalted
- 5 tbs parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- 4 large eggs – separated
- black pepper – freshly ground to taste
- Place the milk and salt in a large pot with a lid and over high heat bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir, cover and then reduce heat to low. Let rice cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed. The rice should be al dente.
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in 1Tb of the butter, along with the parmesan cheese and the egg yolks. Stir gently to combine everything but do not mash the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Taste to see if more is needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Coat the inside of a 1 ½ quart baking dish with the remaining butter.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the white are stiff but not dry. Fold the beaten egg whites into the prepared dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven, loosen the edges of the cake with a knife and invert onto a platter. Serve almost immediately.