Keep your protein on the go with this stuffed bell peppers!
Here’s a recipe that you will certainly make for your lunch or dinner. We also call this as ‘peperoni imbottiti’ where these bell peppers are packed with your favorite meats and cheese. So, keep them in your list of healthy meals too!
- 4 – bell peppers, green, red, orange or yellow – your combination choice
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 1/3 – 1/2 lb. shredded fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup grated cheese – your favorite
- 2 cups dry white wine – divided
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley – chopped
- 1 onion – chopped
- 8 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the tops of the peppers, remove the seeds and reserve.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add the ground meats and cook slowly for about 15 to 20 minutes, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of wine and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a large bowl and add the parsley, grated cheese, shredded mozzarella, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix well and allow it to cool.
- Preheat oven to 300º.
- Arrange the bell peppers, standing up on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled. Don’t crowd them. (I actually prefer to do this in a baking dish or two bread pans).
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the bell peppers and close them with the tops on.
- Drizzle the peppers with some additional olive oil and the remaining 1 cup of wine.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve your Stuffed Bell Peppers while still hot. Enjoy!