Italians love something mildly sweet especially a simple cookie not just for Breakfast, but also in the afternoon with tea or an espresso, or even better as a dessert with a glass of wine. These cookies are a delicate, slightly crunchy cookie. Made with butter and of course a touch of honey and your favorite flavoring.
- 1 cup + 2 tbs sugar
- 8 0z (2 sticks) sweet butter
- ¼ cup milk – not low fat
- 2 eggs – large
- 1 ½ tbs honey
- 1 tsp extract – your favorite
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 1 egg – for egg wash
- colored sprinkles or decorative sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Cream together the sugar and butter.
- Add the milk, eggs, honey and flavoring of your choice.
- Gradually add in the flour.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Take a small piece of cough (a few tablespoons) and roll into a small log, about 3 ½. Inches long and ½-inch wide.
- Gently push the dough into an “S” shape.
- Repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Place the cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment, about 1 ½-inches apart.
- Brush lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle lightly with colored sprinkles of decorative sugar crystal.
- Bake for app 15-18 minutes until light brown.
- Remove and let cool.