- 3 Eggs – Large
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice – freshly squeezed
- ¾ Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ tsp Nutmeg
- Powdered Sugar
- Beat eggs at high speed for about 5 minutes while gradually adding the sugar.
- Stir in the pumpkin and fresh lemon juice.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spread in greased and floured sheet pan, app 15” X 10” X 1”. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Turn out immediately onto a kitchen towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Roll towel and cake together, from the short end, and allow to cool. Carefully and slowly so it does not crack, unroll and fill.
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese or 12 Oz Mascarpone*
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 4 Tbs Butter – softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Combine all ingredients except the nuts and beat until smooth.
- Spread the cheese mixture on the cake roll and sprinkle evenly with the chopped nuts.
- Re-roll and put on platter, seam side down, and sprinkle with more powdered sugar.
Note: For a richer filling use 12 Oz Mascarpone cheese and mix with 1 ¼ Cups sifted powdered sugar, 2 Tbs heavy cream, 1 pinch of salt, ½ Cup chopped nuts and 1 ½ tsp vanilla. Combine as above and spread on cake. This dessert is so popular that I have to make two at Thanksgiving.