The Eggplant Sausage pie. Looking for a way to turn eggplant into a pie? Here is the way.
- 1 9-inch-deep dish pie crust – unbaked
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups eggplant – peeled and cubed
- ¾cup onion – chopped
- grind of black pepper – to taste
- Top crust – optional, egg washed before baking
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 8-10 oz sauce – homemade or canned
- ¾ lb. ground beer or Italian sausage – your choice
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ¼ cup fresh mozzarella – divided
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Heat pan over medium heat and melt butter. Add eggplant cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove eggplant from the pan and set aside.
- To the pan add beef, onion and garlic and cook stirring until beef is browned and large chunks are broken up. Drain liquid from pan, add tomato sauce, oregano and pepper. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring for about 6-8 minutes. Stir in eggplant.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in ½ of the cheese and spoon the mixture into the pie crust.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the pie is golden brown. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and bake a few minutes longer until the cheese is completely melted.