(Coconut cake. A sweet recipe from our friend, Marty)
- 5 eggs – room temperature
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1pkg or medium can flaked coconut
Note: Bring eggs to room temperature and add one at a time while stirring all ingredients in with a wooden spoon. Best to not use an electric mixer.
- Beat sugar, oil and eggs with a wooden spoon or wire whisk.
- Blend in flour, milk and flavorings and stir with a wooden spoon until all are well incorporated.
- Stir in flaked coconut. Bake for 1 hour at 350º in a greased and floured Bundt pan.
- When a cake tester comes out clean, remove from the oven and place pan on wire rack.
- With a wooden skewer, punch holes all over the cake and pour glaze all over, slowly and carefully. (Try not to let the syrup get too close to the edge of the pan or the tube, as it makes it a little difficult to unmold by becoming sticky.)
- Leave cake in pan until completely cooled. When ready to unmold, slide knife around the inside of the pan and around the tube to help loosen.
GLAZE FOR COCONUT CAKE:
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp coconut flavoring
- Mix all together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Carefully pour all over cake and let in sink in.