Chocolate always soothes the soul. This is a great recipe for “Game Day” because the day is as much about the food as the game. And who doesn’t like something chocolaty!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate shavings (freeze a chocolate bar, then use a potato peeler to make the shavings)
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish/pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water. (The mixture will look very thin and runny, but don’t fret! It’ll come out just right!)
- Pour the mixture into your greased baking dish.
- Bake for 42 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all the icing ingredients to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, carefully poke deep holes into the cake.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the cake, making sure to get some of the glaze into all of the holes. (Use a rubber spatula to carefully spread the glaze evenly over the cake, if you need to. Mine slid off to the sides a bit, but it was easily fixed.)
- Sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the entire cake. (Chocolate chips sprinkled on top would be good, too!)