Bake different recipes with this versatile dough.
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes fast-rising active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water – 105º – 110º
- 3 eggs – room temperature
- 1 teaspoon spice
- 7 cups flour
- Heat milk, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan until all is dissolved, then let cool for about 30 seconds.
- Dissolve yeast in water in a large bowl of your electric mixer.
- Add the cooled milk mixture along with eggs, 3 cups of flour and your spice or extract – or just withhold if you want a plain semi-sweet bread. (Optionally you can use pumpkin spice for a pumpkin bread or cardamom for a different flavored bread. Imagination reigns here!)
- Using dough hook, beat on medium speed for 3-5 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl several times.
- Knead dough for 5 – 8 minutes, let rise for 1 hour, covered in the bowl and shape and bake using your own recipe or one of the following.