The Riso a Salsiccia or Rice and Sausage
This is my go-to recipe when a quick but satisfying meal is needed.
- 1-2 tbs. butter – unsalted
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese – Parmesan or Romano, your favorite
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage – about 1 ¼ pounds total
- Cut sausage on the diagonal in bite size pieces.
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat and allow to get foamy. Add the sausage and sauté slowly until done – about 12-15 minutes. Do not let the butter burn.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rice and cook, checking for doneness around 15 minutes. You want the rice to be al dente or a little firm. You do not want it to be overcooked. When done, drain thoroughly.
- Place the rice in a large serving bowl. Add the sausage and grated cheese, toss gently.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: for a variety you can add some frozen peas to the rice as it is cooking. Also, instead of links, you can just sauté sausage meat in clumps and add.