Here is the amazing red cabbage and bacon salad. There’s crunchiness in every bite.
- 1 small heard red cabbage – very finely shredded
- 5-6 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb bacon – cut into 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt – to taste
- Shred the cabbage into your large serving bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crisp but not burnt. When done, remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the vinegar to the same pot and bring to a good simmer. When done, pot over the cabbage in your serving dish.
- Wipe the pan with a spatula of any bits and pieces left in the pan and add to the bowl as they will add more flavor.
- Taste for salt and adjust and then give the cabbage a very good toss so that the cabbage separates, and it is well combined with the dressing.
- Serve your red cabbage and bacon salad.
NOTE: best served at room temperature with a few slices of crust Italian bread. This can be made without the bacon, and I sometimes do that but add chopped walnuts or some canned, drained navy beans and even drained tuna. Just adjust the dressing. It’s a great recipe to use your imagination. This dressing is also good over spinach.