WHAT EXACTLY IS A PUMPKIN? One of the most adored fall foods in America is the pumpkin, especially for its versatility not only as a food but as a decoration, a symbol and an introduction to the season. Pumpkins have a savorous or flavorful profile, so we typically think of them as a vegetable but surprisingly pumpkins are a fruit.
2 CUPS FLOUR
2 TSP PUMPKIN PIE SPICE – or to taste
½ TSP CINNAMON
1 TSP BAKING SODA
3/4 TSP BAKING POWDER
PINCH OF SALT
½ CUP CANOLA or VEGETABLE OIL
½ CUP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
2 EGGS – room temperature
2 MEDIUM SIZE BANANAS – mashed
PINCH OF NUTMEG – to taste
½ CUP CHOPPED NUTS – walnuts, pecans – your choice
½ CUP SUGAR
2 TSP VANILLA – or to taste
1 CUP CANNED PUMPKIN (not pie filling)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour 9X5-inch Loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk just until there are no lumps. Stir in the mashed bananas and pumpkin. When all combined stir in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula and then stir in the chopped nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. The top of the loaf should also feel firm when lightly pressed on it.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Loosen sides of the pan slightly with a knife for easier release. (I like to line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper that I fold to fit the pan and it becomes a sling for easier release. Grease and flour the pan and the paper.)
- Completely cool loaf on a wire rack.
- This loaf can be wrapped tightly and stored in an air-tight container and frozen for 4-6 weeks and then thawed in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.