The New York Crumb buns. This was a Sunday morning treat, if I was given money to go to
Hanscom Bakery on 2nd Avenue somewhere between 41st and 42nd on the east side of the avenue.
I would buy a half dozen crumb buns after 9 o’clock Mass (try sitting through Mass with an empty stomach thinking of Crumb Buns).
Remember, my Mother didn’t bake, so this was a real treat and didn’t happen very often.
- 3 eggs – large
- 3 cups flour – all purpose
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ lb Crisco
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- crumb topping
- Cream Crisco and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients with milk and vanilla, starting with dry and ending with milk.
- Pour batter into a 10” X 15” baking pan, lined with parchment paper and slightly greased.
- Sprinkle with Crumb Topping.
- ½ lb butter – melted and slightly cooled
- 2 ½ – 3 cups flour – all purpose
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 ½ tbs cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix dry ingredients and blend with cooled butter using a fork.
- Grasp by handfuls and crumble on top of batter. Bake at 350° for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into large squares.