Here’s an interesting dish that uses the sweetness of sausage to balance out the heat of cherry peppers. A wonderful and family-friendly recipe!
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces – skin-on, bone-in, your favorite
- 1 onion – halved, sliced thin
- 3-5 jarred hot cherry peppers
- 5 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley – chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. sweet Italian sausage meat
- 1 red bell pepper – sliced thin, seeded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º with rack in middle position.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium to high heat until it starts smoking.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, skin side down and cook while occasionally moving it until well-browned. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to brown on the other side. When completely cooked, transfer it to a plate.
- Add the sausage meat to the remaining oil in the pan and cook. Break it up with a wooden spoon and wait until it browned.
- Transfer the sausage with a slotted spoon to the plate with the chicken.
- Remove some of the drippings from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons, and return the skillet to a medium-high heat.
- Add onions and bell peppers that have been seeded and sliced. Cook for about 5 minutes until all are softened.
- Add garlic, oregano and cherry peppers that have been rinsed, seeded, and sliced thin (about ½ cup total). Cook altogether until fragrant and remember not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add broth and cherry pepper brine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits.
- Remove skillet from the heat and stir in the sausage.
- Arrange the chicken pieces skin side up, not overlapping, in skillet and add all the accumulated juices.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and cook until done. Chicken should register at about 165º – 170º for about 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven. Transfer chicken to serving platter.
- Taste and season the remains in the pan with salt and pepper, stir and then spoon over the chicken. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Enjoy!