A meal in one pot to end a busy day.
Tue, Oct 4, 2022
Many Catholics worldwide celebrate the Feast of St Francis of Assisi on October 4 each year. The feast commemorates the life of St Francis, who was born in the 12th century and is the Catholic Church’s patron saint of animals and the environment.
The feast of St Francis of Assisi commemorates the life of St Francis, here in statue form outside a church.
What Do People Do?
The feast of St Francis of Assisi is the most important festival of the Franciscan calendar in Assisi, Italy. It commemorates the saint’s transition from this life to the afterlife, according to the Catholic Church. For two days, starting on October 3, the town of Assisi is illuminated by oil lamps burning consecrated oil brought from a different Italian town each year. Solemn religious services are held in the Basilica of St Francis and in the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
Many children in countries such as the United States bring their pets to the church to be blessed on St Francis’ feast day because of his love for animals.
For many years, our children religiously brought their pets to be blessed and these pets included dogs, hamsters, and rabbits.
ALMOND POUND CAKE
Quick, easy, and delicious!
8 OZ CREAM CHEESE
1 ½ CUPS UNSALTED BUTTER – room temp
3 CUPS SUGAR
3 CUPS CAKE FLOUR – sifted after measuring
½ TSP SALT
1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
1 TSP ALMOND EXTRACT
7 LARGE EGGS
- Preheat oven to 300º and grease and flour 2 loaf pans or 1 12-inch Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- When well combined, add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, the almond extract and salt. Beat just until all combined.
- Alternate adding the eggs and flour beating just until you cannot see the yolk and the flour is mixed in.
- End with the flour and do not overbeat at this point.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pour into the prepared pan or pans, smooth the top and bang the pan a few times on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30-45 minutes for the Bundt cake.
- Check loaf cakes after 1 hour and 15 minutes with a tester inserted in the center.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then carefully release and cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when completely cooled.
IT SEEMS FITTING ON THIS DAY TO NOT POST A RECIPE THAT INVOLVES ANIMALS!