We also call these pineapple fritters as “fritte di ananas”. They’re crispy on the outside and they have the sweet flavor of the pineapple inside. Dust them with powdered sugar and the kids will definitely rush to get one!
- 1 pineapple – peeled, cored, cut into small wedges
- 1/3 cup flour
- 10 amaretti – crumbled
- 3 eggs – yolks only
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk – hot
- canola or vegetable oil – for frying
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar – for dusting
- Make a pastry cream by beating 3 egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of flour. Beat until smooth.
- Whisk in 1 1/3 cups of hot milk and pour altogether into a saucepan bringing to a gentle boil. Cook until thick and whisk often.
- Stir in 1 tsp. of vanilla extract and 10 crumbled amaretti.
- Peel and core a pineapple and cut into wedges. Mix the wedges with the pastry cream and cover them well. Place them in a covered container then refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Dredge the wedges in 1 cup of cornstarch and deep-fry in hot extra virgin olive oil (350ºF) until golden brown, turning once or twice in order to brown evenly.
- Spread out on paper towels to absorb excess grease. Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.
- Enjoy your pineapple fritters and share them with everyone!