There’s a chill in the air but soups on the menu!
4 Tbs Butter – unsalted
1/3 Cup Semolina Four – plus some for dusting
4 Large Eggs
2 Cups Grana Padano Cheese – freshly grated
6 Slices Mortadella – finely chopped
1 Tb Milk
¼ tsp Nutmeg
5 Cups Chicken Broth – preferably homemade
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Grease and flour 8” X 8” baking dish with butter and then dust with some semolina flour.
- Shake out excess. In a large bowl, mix together butter, flour, egg yolks, cheese, mortadella, milk, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Stir until it forms a thick batter.
- In a different bowl beat egg whites to soft – medium peaks.
- Fold into the egg mixture and pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake until the top is golden ad a tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Run a spatula around the edges to loosen and then cut into ½-inch cubes (removing them from the pan with a spatula).
- Add to the broth and let the broth simmer until the cubes are soft about 5 or 6 minutes.
Note: I don’t know why we called this Bolognese Soup. The recipe was actually given to me from a friend in Lombardia. But it is really easy, filling and delicious