(A clafouti is sort of a tart)
In summer when fruit is plentiful you can use any of your favorite fruits. In autumn, I make this often using apples.
But in summer our family likes it made with peaches, strawberries or figs!
For the batter:
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk or Half and Half
- 6 Tbs Butter – melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
For the peaches:
- 4 Tbs Butter
- 5 Peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla – or your favorite flavoring
- Cinnamon – to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 400º. For the batter, put all the batter ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth, scraping down the sides, and set aside.
- Generously butter a 10” pie plate and set it in the oven to heat.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the peaches or fruit of your choice, ½ cup of sugar and vanilla (or your favorite flavor, maybe almond extract) and cook for about 5 minutes until they are glazed and heated through.
- Remove the plate from the oven, give the blender a quick whirl and quickly pour half of the batter into the hot pie plate.
- Arrange the peaches and some of their juices over the batter, spreading them out.
- Now pour remaining batter over the peaches, sprinkle remaining 2 Tsp of sugar over the batter and sprinkle with cinnamon and any remaining juices.
- Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until the clafouti is golden and set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Serve with ice cream and you have a winner.