Here is the secret behind the most delicious Mozzarella Marinara.
- 1 LB FRESH MOZZARELLA
- 1 CAN (28 oz) ITALIAN PLUM TOMATOES
- 2-3 OZ FINE BREAD CRUMBS
- 2-3 GARLIC CLOVES
- ¾ CUP OLIVE OIL
- 8 FRESH BASIL LEAVES
- 1 EGG – well beaten
- SALT and GROUND PEPPER – to taste
- In a frying pan, add ¼ cup of olive oil, add the garlic and tomatoes (that have been pulsed in the blender for about 3-5 seconds) and cook all together for abut 10 minutes.
- At the same time, in another frying pan, pour in the remainder of the oil.
- Slice the mozzarella into 4 nice slices about 1 ½-inches thick.
- Flour them, dip into the beaten eggs and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the breaded mozzarella in very hot oil. As soon as they get a nice golden color, turn and do the same, on the other side.
- Serve the Mozzarella Marinara, at once, on a plate with salt and freshly ground black pepper and top with the tomato sauce and fresh basil.
Note: You can use either flavored or unflavored bread crumbs. Your choice.