This is a very traditional recipe from the region of Lombardy.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup parmigiano cheese – grated
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine – your favorite
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1 envelope saffron
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the onion to the melted butter and saute’ over medium heat.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is completely coated with the butter.
- Now add the wine and saffron. Stir constantly until the wine is absorbed.
- Continue stirring, adding broth a little at a time as it is absorbed by the rice.
- Cook until the rice is al dente, adding additional water or broth if needed.
- When the rice is ready, remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. This is a good partner for Osso Buco Milanese.