Here is the Zucchini Ricotta Frittata. Any Frittata is delicious but this dish is exceptional.
I purposely went out and bought a cast iron frying pan just for frittatas.
I get on a kick every so often and I like trying different combinations of vegetables, meats, herbs and spices.
The reason I enjoy this dish so much is because the blend of fresh herbs, olive oil, eggs and cheese are just perfect.
Of course you can come up with your own favorite combinations.
This Frittata will easily serve four people unless your like me and don’t really want to share.
Serve this dish with small fried red potatoes dusted with rosemary and breakfast sausages or on warm Italian bread.
SERVING: Serves 4 people
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup of ricotta
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbls of fresh flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbls of butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into circles
- 3 thick slices of pre-cooked smoked pork butt, cubed
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, basil and thyme and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a 10 inch oven proof non-stick skillet or a very seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Cook the zucchini slices until they are slightly browned. Around 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the pan and let cool.
- Add the onions, garlic and smoked butt to the pan and sauté until onions a translucent and slightly browned.
- Remove from the pan and let cool.
- Mix together the zucchini, onions and garlic with the egg mixture.
- Re-heat the pan and add a little more oil to the pan if needed.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan.
- Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes until the bottom begins to brown. Use a spatula to separate the egg from the pan and check the bottom.
- Place the pan under a broiler and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes more until the top is slightly browned.
- Remove from pan and cut into slices.