The Zucchini Pie. This is a recipe that was shared with me during a trip to Italy when we had an opportunity to spend some time in Viareggio in Tuscany.
Viareggio which at one time and probably up until the mid-1800’s was a marshland filled with malaria carrying mosquitoes. When the marshes were cleared to avoid an epidemic, the beauty of this area was realized, and tourism began with a flourish and it became a much sought-after fishing town.
The flavors of this town have fortunately remained true to their traditional foods.
- ¼ cup butter – melted
- 2/3 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tb salt – or to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Eggs – large
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract – or to taste
- ½ cup milk or half and half – warm
- 4 cups Zucchini – sliced into thin rounds
- extra butter – for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Grease a 10-inch springform with butter.
- Combine all the ingredients, with the exception of the zucchini, together.
- When well combined, add the zucchini slices and blend in without mashing.
- Bake for about 55-60 minutes until the top is golden brown.