Days will be shorter
Nights will be crisper
Autumn is here as we
Transition from summer
Semifreddo which translates from Italian to half-cold or half-frozen is a classic semi-frozen dessert that is similar to but not ice cream. It’s the answer to making something cold and refreshing but more like a mousse mixed with ice cream. Could there be any better way than that to end summer and welcome Autumn than with this dessert.
SERVING: Makes 4 – 8 servings depending on thickness of each slice.
1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
2 TBS POWDERED SUGAR
1 TSP VANILLA or ½ TSP ALMOND EXTRACT
3 EGG WHITES
½ CUP SIMPLE SYRUP – recipe to follow
1 CAN (20 OZ) CRUSHED PINEAPPLE – drained
1 CUP COOKIES (your favorite) or PISTACHIOS – crushed, for sprinkling
- To make simple syrup combine ¼ cup water with ½ cup sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil slowly over medium heat. When it reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is clear. Cool the syrup before using.
- Spray a 9 X 5 X 3-inch loaf pan very lightly with vegetable spray. Line that pan with enough plastic wrap to extend over the sides and fold over the top when the pan is filled.
- In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and extract until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites until frothy and foamy. With the mixer running, slowly add the simple syrup. Continue beating on high speed until the mixture is glossy and has doubled in volume – 8 or 10 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the crushed pineapple into the egg whites. Fold the whipped cream into the egg whites. When well combined, carefully spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Fold the plastic wrap over the top to cover and freeze for at least 8 hours (or up to a few days if preparing in advance.)
- When ready to serve, carefully unfold the plastic wrap and invert the semi-freddo onto a flat serving dish or cutting board and cut into 1-inch slices. Place on individual serving dishes and top each slice with crushed cookies or nuts of your choice.