A quick way to add greens to your meal!
- 1 Lb Escarole – salt to taste
- 3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic – smashed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Tear the escarole into manageable size pieces and rinse several times in cold water.
- Escarole can be gritty so wash and drain very well.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and add the escarole leaves.
- Cook only until wilted – about 5 minutes. Drain well and allow to cool. Squeeze out all excess water with a towel.
- Chop escarole into bite size pieces. Heat the olive oil and the garlic in a large pan. When the garlic is fragrant and slightly golden (do not let it burn) add the hot pepper flakes and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the escarole and mix well so that all the leaves become well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix again.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature. To make it a little heartier add some sauteed mushrooms to the pan and sauté right after the garlic and just before the escarole.
Note: Escarole is a tasty addition to soup.