The Viennese Crescents Cookies or Biscotti Viennesi. A Great Christmas Cookie!
Nutmeg perfumes these delicate cookies, making them particularly appealing.
Because they are fragile, avoid crumbling by using a small metal spatula to remove them from the baking sheet.
SERVING: Makes about 24 cookies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick/4 oz./113g) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F/160 degrees C
- In a food processor, combine the flour, walnuts, butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Then process continuously until the dough begins to gather together.
- Pinch off 2 tsp. of the dough and roll it between your palms to form a rope 2 1/2 inches long, slightly tapering it at both ends.
- On a large ungreased baking sheet, arrange the rope in a crescent shape.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the crescents about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until just firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
- Using a sieve, sift a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar over the cooled cookies.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.