(The Veal Tuscan style or Saltimbocca alla Toscano)
- 2 lbs veal cutlets
- 12 slices prosciutto – thinly sliced
- 12 slices fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup marsala
- ½ tsp sage – chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ lb butter
- Flatten veal slices very thin and cut into 3-inch pieces.
- Put 1 slice of mozzarella and 1 slice of prosciutto and a pinch of sage on one piece of veal and cover, like a sandwich, with another piece.
- Sprinkle slightly with salt and pepper and skewer with a toothpick. Repeat until all the little sandwiches are made.
- Sauté in butter over a medium flame until golden brown on both sides – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and keep hot.
- Add wine to drippings in pan and heat, but do not boil.
- Pour sauce over the cutlets and serve immediately. Mashed potatoes will be the perfect side dish.
NOTE: Of course, you can make this using chicken, but it will have a much different taste.