A soup for all seasons!
½ CUP EXTRAVIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1 LARGE POTATO – cut into small cubes
1 ONION – red or white, chopped
1/3 CUP BARLEY – quick cooking
3 GARLIC CLOVES – chopped
1 CUP ARBORIO RICE
3 CELERY STALKS – thinly sliced
STOCK – to cover, your choice
10 SAVOR CABBAGE LEAVES – chopped
4-5 CARROTS – peeled, chopped
½ CUP WHITE WINE – your favorite
¼ CUP PARSLEY – chopped
2 TOMATOES – seeded, chopped
- In a large pot heat the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté for 8-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir often so that the vegetables do not burn. Add cabbage, tomatoes, potato, barley, and mix all together.
- Pour over all enough stock to cover by at least 2-inches. Cook, without boiling, for 15 – 20 minutes. Add the white wine (use one that you will enjoy drinking as you cook and/or with dinner).
- Simmer and stir occasionally until the aroma from the wine dissipates.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, bring 4 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook until almost done.
- Drain and stir into the pot with the vegetables. Add the parsley.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not let boil.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust for taste.
- Serve hot and pass grated cheese, either Romano or Parmesan for sprinkling.
- Don’t forget some crusty Italian bread and you have a delicious and filling meal.
NOTE: Instead of stock and fresh tomatoes, you can add on can (28oz) San Marzano peeled tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes by squeezing them in your hand as you add them to the soup pot.