The ever-good Torta di riso or Italian rice cake. Rice, milk, sugar and candied fruit go into this delicious gluten-free cake from the city of Bologna.
SERVINGS: Serves 4 to 6
- 7 oz Rice
- 3 ½ oz sugar
- 1 ¾ oz candied citron
- 1 ¾ oz almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 ¾ oz butter
- Cherry liqueur
- To a pot, add the milk, 2 cups water, sugar, grated lemon peel and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then add the rice and cook until it has absorbed all the liquid.
- Then, remove the pot from the heat and let cool.
Once the rice is cool, add the eggs one at a time, mixing as you go.
- Once mixed, add the butter, almonds and candied fruit.
- Mix well, then transfer to a buttered and floured cake mold.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for half and hour.
- When done baking, slice the rice cake into pieces and brush with maraschino liqueur.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla