Torta di mele is a classic Italian homemade treat.
Use Golden Delicious apples; their flavor, consistency and moisture level are perfect for this cake.
- 700g Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced thinly.
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 200 g sugar (1 cup)
- 250 g flour (1 and 3/4 cup)
- 1 pouch Pane degli Angeli* (or substitute 1 teaspoon baking soda)
*Pane degli Angeli is an Italian leavening agent lightly sweetened with vanilla.
It is a common ingredient in many Italian baked goods.
If you decide to buy some, search Amazon or another online gourmet foods vendor for “Lievito Pane degli Angeli.”
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour a 9″ or 10″ round cake pan, preferably a springform pan. Set aside.
- Core, peel and thinly slice the apples, and place them into a bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the apples. Stir and let rest.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer on high speed for 5 minutes, until the mixture is light and airy.
- Warm the butter until it is very soft but not melted and add it to the eggs and sugar, along with the milk and the zest of one lemon.
- Stir in the butter, milk and lemon zest.
- If you use Pane degli Angeli, pass it through a small strainer, such as a tea strainer, to eliminate any small clumps, and add it to the batter.
- If you use baking soda, add it now.
- Add the flour, and fold the dry ingredients gently into into the batter, taking care not to over-stir.
- Add the apples and mix carefully until coated.
- Pour the batter into your buttered and floured pan.
- Arrange slices of apple around the top surface of the cake, and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If you wish, turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking in order to give the top a golden brown color.
- Serve warm or at room temperature for dessert, with afternoon coffee, or even for breakfast.
Source and pictures: http://duespaghetti.com/category/food/desserts-sweets/page/14/