The Torta di Cioccolato Senza Farina or Flourless Chocolate Cake.
SERVING: Serves 6-8
12 TBS BUTTER – unsalted, softened
3 TBS FLOUR – for dusting
6 OZ SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE
¾ CUP SUGAR
6 EGGS – separated
1 ¼ ALMONDS – finely ground
1 TB BRANDY*
2 PINCHES SALT
POWDERED SUGAR – for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, grease an 11-inch springform pan, line bottom with parchment paper, grease paper, then dust paper and sides of pan with flour.
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler set above simmering water over medium heat or your favorite method. Set aside to cool.
- Put remaining butter into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating for about 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time beating well after each addition until well combined.
- Then add cooled melted chocolate and beat just enough to blend in. Stir in almonds and brandy and set aside.
- Put egg whites and salt into a large, clean bowl and beat with electric mixer until they form medium-stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the whites to the chocolate mixture and using a rubber spatula fold in. Then carefully fold in the remaining whites in two additions, taking care to not deflate the batter. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Put pan into the oven and bake for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350º and continue baking until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and set on wire rack to cool. Unmold, remove parchment paper and place cake on serving dish. Dust liberally with powdered sugar just before serving.
NOTE: You can use your favorite brandy or liqueur. Because it is chocolate, I like to use a raspberry flavored liqueur. Of course, you can also just use vanilla or almond extract reducing the amount to your taste.