Here is the Torta alle Banane or Italian Banana Cake. This is a wonderful Italian Banana torta (cake).
The flavor of banana mixed with lemon, oatmeal and allspice; and then a filling of yogurt and finely chopped banana spread between the layers is so very scrumptious……
SERVINGS: Makes 8 servings.
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (regular or quick cooking oats)
- 1 cup Greek Style Yogurt*, or cream cheese (regular or whipped), or you may use other flavored yogurt
- 1 banana, peeled and chopped finely
For The Torta:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit bottom of pan.
- Place parchment paper on bottom of pan and grease parchment paper. In a large bowl; mix the eggs, brown sugar and oil.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and the grated lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, the baking powder and the allspice into the banana/egg mixture.
- With a spoon, fold in the rolled oats.
- Pour or spoon batter into loaf pan, and level top of torta with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F(180 C) oven for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of torta comes out clean, and torta has risen and is firm.
- Remove torta from oven, and cool on rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Invert onto work surface, remove parchment paper, and after torta has cooled cut horizantally into 4 layers.
To Make The Filling:
- In a medium size bowl, combine the yogurt (or cream cheese, if using) and the finely chopped banana.
- Spread filling between each layer of torta, dusting the top layer with confectioners’ sugar.
- Place torta on serving plate.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Store un-eaten torta in refrigerator.
Note: Plain (unflavored), or flavored yogurt can be used for the filling. I recommend plain, or vanilla flavor, or if you can find banana or lemon flavored yogurt, either of these would work well for the filling in this recipe also.
Tip: I have also used cream cheese (regular or whipped) instead of the yogurt in this recipe. It was very nice also.