Cream Puffs filled with a delicate Zabaione Cream… it doesn’t get better than that!
For the Cream Puffs:
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 ounces butter
1 cup water
4 large eggs
pinch of salt
For the Zabaione Cream:
10 egg yolks
10 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
- Make the Cream Puffs:
In a pot add the water, the butter and salt.
- Put the pot on the stove and melt the butter in the water.
- Slowly add the flour and mix well until the flour is totally absorbed and you have a ball.
- Put the ball in a stand mixer and one by one add the four eggs until you have a soft dough.
- Preheat the oven at 425F.
- Put the dough in a baker’s bag and deposit about 1 Tsp of dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 20-22 mins. until the Cream Puffs turn golden.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
Make the Zabaione Cream:
- In a rounded bottom bowl add the egg yolks and the sugar.
- With a hand mixer, mix the two ingredients well until you have a smooth whitish cream.
- Slowly add the Marsala wine and continue to mix.
- Once the Marsala has been completely absorbed into the cream, put the bowl in a water bath and continue to mix for another 15-20 minutes.
- At this point, the cream will have swollen, firmed up and look velvety.
- Make sure the water never boils while you are mixing as you do not want lumps in the cream.
- Remove the cream from the water bath and let it cool.
- Zabaione cream puff is now ready to be served!