Tiramisu is a popular coffee-flavoured Italian dessert. It is made of ladyfingers (Savoiardi) dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, flavoured with cocoa.
- 16 units of finger biscuits
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of coffee (at room temperature)
- 2 cups of mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Separate the egg yolks from the white
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together with an electric whisk for a couple of minutes
- Mix the mascarpone into the egg mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the mascarpone, egg and sugar mixture.
- Spoon a third of the mascarpone, egg and cream mixture into a large dish of about 23cm x 33cm (9in x 13in).
- Dip the finger biscuits into the espresso (for one second), then lay them on top of the mascarpone and cream mixture in the dish.
- Spoon over the next third of the mascarpone and cream mixture, followed by another layer of biscuits.
- Spoon over the final layer of mascarpone and cream.
- Cover and chill in the fridge at least 3 hours.
- Dust with cocoa powder before serving.