Yield approximately 5 ½ – 6 dozen
- 2 cups almonds – finely ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups butter – room temperature, unsalted
- 1 cup granuated sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 4 cups flour – sifted
- additional granulated sugar – for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Using your food processor, grind almonds until they look like coarse cornmeal and set aside.
- Cream together, butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and salt and combine completely.
- Add flour and mix in until well combined.
- Next add the ground almonds and mix all together.
- Shape into little balls. For ease use an ice cream scoop to make sure they are all the same size for uniform baking.
- Place the balls on baking pans lined with parchment paper about 1-inch apart and place in refrigerator to chill for about 20 minutes or until you are sure the little balls are firm.
- Once chilled, place in a preheated oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes. They should be firm but not brown. They will be very fragile so let sit for 5 or 6 minutes after removing from the oven.
- As they will still be a little warm and fragile, roll them very carefully in a plate filled with granulated sugar.
- Turn them as you roll them so that each cookie is fully sugar coated.
- Place coated cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
NOTE: If you let the cookies get too cool, they will not coat well. So you have to work quickly.