The Italian sweet Rice Fritters or Frittelle di Riso. A special recipe from Tuscany. They are made starting for Carnevale and lasting through Father’s day.
- 2-1/2 cups short grain rice
- 6 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Peel of one lemon (wide strips) or orange zest
- 1 ounce liqueur (sherry, brandy, or amaretto)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- Bring the rice to a slow boil in the milk with sugar and lemon peel.
- When the rice is cooked, it will have absorbed all the milk.
- Place the rice in large bowl, add the liqueur, egg yolks, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix well and let cool. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
- Whip the egg whites still stiff.
- Fold whites into the rice mixture.
- In a heavy pan, heat 3 inches of oil for frying.
- I prefer olive oil, but any light seed oil is fine.
- Drop the fritters by teaspoons into the hot oil.
- Fry quickly and remove when they are golden. Do not let get too brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve sprinkled with granulated sugar.
- Enjoy your sweet rice fritters.