Think of a little puff of lemon sweetness enhanced with almond flavoring, toasted almonds and all rolled into a little puff!
- ½ cup + 1 tb cream cheese – room temp
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar – divided
- 1 egg – beaten with 1 tb water
- 2 tb lemon curd
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp milk
- 3 tbs almonds – sliced, toasted
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry – thawed
- Beat the cream cheese, 3 Tb powdered sugar, lemon curd, lemon zest and almond extract on medium speed until well combined and refrigerate, covered for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- On a lightly floured board, carefully unfold the thawed puff pastry and roll it into a 12 X 9-inch rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife or even a pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 9 little rectangles.
- Spoon a table of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each rectangle.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg with the water and brush the edges with the mixture.
- Wrap each pastry rectangle around the filling making sure the filling is covered completely. Pinch the edges together to form a small ball.
- Place seam down on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Space them about 2-inches apart as they will swell as they bake.
- Brush the pastries with remaining egg wash.
- Pierce each one with a fork and bake in the preheated oven until golden brown- 15-18 minutes.
- REMOVE LEMON CURD FROM REFRIGERATOR IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO
- Cool on wire rack for about 5-7 minutes and then carefully remove from parchment paper (place the used parchment paper under the wire rack) and place back on wire rack to glaze, allowing any extra glaze to drip down onto the used parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, milk and remaining powdered sugar.
- Brush each puff with lemon glaze.
- Top each with almonds and let the glaze set for a few minutes and serve warm.