This recipe has the result of the best cannelloni stuffed with tuna and cheese. Delicious and easy to make!
- 1 lb. cannelloni pasta
- 3 6-oz cans of Italian tuna – packed in olive oil, drained
- oil reserve from the tuna in can
- tomato sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. flavored breadcrumbs – for topping.
- 3 lbs. ricotta – whole milk, drained
- ½ cup grated cheese – your favorite for topping
- ½ lb. fresh mozzarella – shredded
- 2-3 cups freshly grated cheese – your favorite
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 or 7 large fresh basil leaves – torn into little pieces
- Cook the cannelloni in salted boiling water until very al dente. If the it is too cooked, it will be difficult to fill and will fall apart during baking.
- Scoop cannelloni into cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain then spread out on a kitchen towel.
- Make your favorite quick tomato sauce or use one that can be bought from stores. Add a little of the reserved tuna oil for flavor.
- For the filling, combine the ricotta, tuna, grated cheese, shredded mozzarella, basil and egg yolks in a bowl and mix well. You can also do this in your food processor.
- Spoon the filling into a pastry bag (or you can fill a plastic bag and snip off one corner). Carefully fill each shell with the mixture.
- Place the filled shells in a large baking dish, spread out over a thin layer of sauce. Spoon the remaining sauce over the shells and top with grated cheese and a few tablespoons of flavored breadcrumbs. If desired, also top with a little extra shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 350o for 35-44 minutes, or just until you know the filling is heated through.
Note: Do not layer the filled shells or the weight will squeeze the filling out. If necessary, use two baking pans.