2 TB OLIVE OIL
1 LB GROUND BEEF – lean
1 RED, ORANGE or YELLOW BELL PEPPER – thinly sliced
1 SWEET ONION – thinly sliced
6 GARLIC CLOVES – minced
1 CUP BASIL LEAVES – loosely packed, divided
FRESH CILANTRO – optional
THAI BASIL SAUCE
1 TB CHILI PASTE
2 TBS SOY SAUCE
1 TB FISH SAUCE
1 TB BROWN SUGAR
2 TB LIME JUICE – freshly squeezed
- In a small bowl combine chili paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice until incorporated, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring often, about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Add the peppers. onions and garlic to the beef and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture, with some of the basil and continue cooking until basil starts to wilt.
- Serve over rice topped with the remaining fresh basil. Add some cilantro, if desired.