Add good Italian sausage salad to anything and you have a quick, delicious, and interesting meal.
- 6 Italian sausage links – hot or sweet
- 2 yellow peppers – cut into strips
- 2 red onions – thinly sliced
- 2-3 Hard-boiled eggs – sliced
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- ½ lb short pasta – your favorite
- 2 orange or red peppers – cut into strips
- 2 cups chickpeas – drained
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Salt– to taste
- Some fresh basil – for garnish
- Pinch of Oregano
- Slice the sausages into ½-inch diagonals and fry in a very lightly oiled skilled until browned and cooked through.
- Cook pasta (any short pasta you prefer will work just fine) in salted boiling water until al dente. Do not overcook or they will be mushy while you want them a little on the firm side. When cooked, remove from heat, and drain.
- Combine the sausage, peppers, onions, pasta, chickpeas, eggs, and parsley in a bowl and toss. In a separate bowl with a pouring spout, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Beat with a fork until slightly frothy and pour the dressing over the salad, tossing it gently as you pour.
- Refrigerate for a few hours to allow all the flavors to combine. Give a quick toss and garnish with a little more parsley and a few fresh basil leaves.
NOTE: Don’t forget to serve some crusty Italian bread to “fare la scarpetta”, meaning to make the little shoe to push the salad onto the fork and sop up any juice.