Here is the Sweet Lemon Bars best recipe. One of the most famous American sweets!!
SERVINGS: Makes 9 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz/113g) butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice* (see note below)
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Line bottom of 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, butter and 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar together using hand mixer until fine crumbs form.
- Using drinking glass, press crumbs evenly onto bottom of lined baking dish.
- Bake until crust is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs, granulated sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon rind and lemon juice. Blend in cream cheese.
- Pour over baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake until firm in the center when touched, about 25 minutes longer.
- Cool to room temperature; sift remaining confectioners’ sugar over top.
- Cut into 9 bars. Serve or store in refrigerator.
Note: You can also use lime or orange juice and rind instead of lemon for lime or orange bars.
Source: Diana Desserts