For all who are celebrating Hanukkah, I wish you
Warmth of Joy
Glow of Prosperity
Sparkle of Happiness
May you be
Blessed with all of these things and more
A Traditional Holiday Roast
NUMBER OF SERVINGS
Serves 12 – 14
- 1 whole 7-8 lb brisket
- 7-8 garlic cloves – sliced
- 3 large spanish onions – peeled, sliced
- 5-6 carrots – peeled, sliced into
- ½ -inch diagonal pieces
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- cloves – to taste
- 3-4 tbs tomato paste
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup red wine
- salt freshly ground black pepper
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper and brown evenly on all sides in a large skillet or sauté pan.
- Transfer brisket to a suitable roasting pan.
- Sauté onions in olive oil until golden brown and then add sliced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Place onions and garlic in the roasting pan.
- Combine sauce and paste with sugar and spread evenly over the brisket.
- Add wine, water, carrots and cloves.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 ½ – 2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan. Remove from pan when cool enough to handle and reserve liquid.
- Slice brisket into thin slices against the grain of the meat and transfer the slices back into the pan containing the liquid.
- Chill at least 8 -10 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, skim fat from the top of the pan and heat the brisket in an oven preheated to 325º for 30 – 40 minutes before serving.