A simple salad, some crusty Italian bread and you have an easy but delicious diner to serve on a busy day
- 4 slices white bread – crusts removed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 6 oz mortadella – roughly chopped
- 1 cup romano or parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg – or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil – for frying
- extra grated cheese – for topping
- 6 – 8 cups tomato sauce – your favorite
- 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk.
- In larger bowl, add the ground pork and the chopped mortadella. Mix to combine.
- Remove the bread from the milk and discard any milk left in the bowl.
- Add the bread to the meat along with the beaten eggs, cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix well until all incorporated but try not to mash.
- Cover and chill for an hour or two. when ready to cook, form the meat into small balls. You should yield 12 – 14.
- Heat a large sauté pan with the oil and when hot enough, add the meatballs.
- Give them enough room as they do swell up a little.
- Turn the meatballs as they are cooking so that they brown on all sides.
- When all are cooked, pour your tomato sauce over all and continue cooking on medium-low heat for an additional 30 minutes.
- Top with grated cheese and serve