- ¼ lb butter
- 1 medium onion -finely chopped
- ½ cup celery -finely chopped
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper – chopped
- 1 tbs garlic – minced
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 lbs shrimp – shelled and deveined
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fish stock – hot
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 lb lump crabmeat -picked over for shells
- 1/3 cup scallions – finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley – finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne – or to taste
While this is cooking, make a pot of white rice.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pot.
- Add the onions, yellow pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Cook stirring frequently until all the vegetables are tender. This should take no more than 10- 15 minutes.
- Add your shrimp and raise the heat a little and cook just until the shrimp has turned pink.
- Add 1 ½ cups of fish stock (it should be hot) and then stir the cornstarch into the remaining stock, mix until all combined and add to the pot.
- Bring to a slow simmer and cook until slightly thickened. – about 20 minutes.
- Add the crab and cook just until warmed through.
- Ladle into soup dishes, garnish with the scallions and parsley and put a scoop of hot, cooked rice in the center of each bowl with some extra on the side.