Choosing the perfect eggplant for this delicious Eggplant Parmesan recipe is easy to do.
Look for an eggplant that has a smooth unblemished shiny skin.
You can see if they are ripe if you press the skin slightly.
If it bounces back into shape it’s ripe, if it leaves an indentation pick another one.
As far mozzarella cheese is concerned, I always like to use fresh buffalo mozzarella for any recipe that calls for mozzarella, but many times I’ve used the shredded package kind for these kinds of casserole type recipes.
This dish takes a little time to prepare, but when you finish combining all the ingredients you could cook it immediately or refrigerate it for later in the evening or the next day.
How long it takes depends on if the sauce is made or not.
Putting it all together is the easy part.
SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 cup of flour for dredging
- 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 package of shredded mozzarella cheese or enough fresh buffalo mozzarella sliced thin
- Your favorite tomato sauce which I hope is mine.
- First prepare the eggplant. Cut the ends off then slice the eggplants into circles 1/2 inch thick.
- Immediately salt the eggplant to draw out the moisture and prevent browning.
- Let them sit and drain on paper towels for about 30 minutes.
- Pat dry.
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Use three bowls, one for the flour, one for the egg mixture and one for the bread crumbs.
- First place the eggplant in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the bread crumbs.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil.
- Fry eggplant on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place some sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Lay the eggplant on the bottom of the dish.
- Put some more sauce on top, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and top with the mozzarella.
- Repeat this step one more time.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for about a half hour until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- If baked the next day I would baked for around an hour until it’s warmed throughout.