The Sicilian Rice Balls (Arancini di riso). Preparing Sicilian Rice Balls is somewhat of an art.
This Sicilian appetizer is stuffed with cheese and meat and coated with a light crispy batter.
They faintly resemble the color and texture of an orange after frying.
Sicilian Rice Balls can be served as snacks, for holiday parties or as a light dinner served with a nice salad.
They will take a couple of hour to make but they are well worth the effort.
There are many variations of this recipe. The stuffing varies but the technique is still the same.
Serving: Makes 4 to 6 rice balls.
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup of peas, cooked
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- In frying pan sauté the ground beef breaking up the meat into little pieces.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, peas, mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of tomato sauce.
- Simmer together for about 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Add the egg yolks and the Parmesan cheese to the rice.
- Add the remaining sauce to the rice a little at a time.
- Roll the rice into balls shaped like a medium sized oranges.
- Poke a hole into the center of the rice and insert around 2 Tbls of the meat mixture.
- Pat the ball with the unbeaten egg whites and roll into the breadcrumbs.
- In a large frying pan, fry the rice balls in the olive oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Follow us on Facebook for more recipes and stories.