The Sicilian eggplants fritters. Obviously, this is from from the Sicily and it is one of the most delicious recipe.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 2 lb eggplant
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 handful all-purpose flour
- 1 handful breadcrumbs
- 3 ½ oz sultanas
- 3 ½ oz Pecorino Romano Cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Wash the eggplant and cut into slices.
- Blanch for a few minutes in boiling salted water.
- Drain and let cool on a cloth dishtowel.
- Soften the raisins by placing them in a bowl of warm water.
- Leave them to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the eggplant and cut into small pieces using a knife.
- In a bowl, beat together 3 egg yolks.
- Add the eggplant, grated pecorino, oregano, nutmeg, salt, pepper and drained raisings.
- Mix everything together and form little balls.
- Dredge in flour and then in a whole beaten egg.
- Then cover with breadcrumbs.
- Heat a good amount of oil in a frying pan and fry the balls of eggplant.
- When golden, remove with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot.
Note: round eggplants generally do not need to be salted to release the excess moisture before cooking.
Source: Academia Barilla