Here is the best recipe for Sicilian almond thumbprint cookies. A Sicilian classic cookies.
Almond paste gives this classic cookie an extra rich flavor and moist dough.
30 minutes to assemble
13-15 minutes to bake (per tray)
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Food Processor or nut chopper
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1-7 oz. box almond paste, grated
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg and 1 yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking trays with parchment.
- Finely chop almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar in food processor, fitted with a metal blade, or with a nut chopper. Set aside.
- Add grated almond paste and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat until texture of fine crumbs. This step can be done in a food processor and then poured into a mixing bowl.
- Add butter to almond mixture and beat until creamy. Add egg and yolk, beating well between each. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour with salt and fold into butter mixture until just incorporated.
- With a one tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out dough and level off. Shape into balls and roll balls in reserved sugar-almond mix.
- Place balls on cookie tray about 2 inches apart (work with one tray at a time keeping remaining dough in refrigerator).
- Make a small indentation in the middle of each ball with your index finger or thumb. Fill each indentation with jam, being careful not to overfill.
- Bake cookies for 13 -15 minutes or until very lightly golden. Cool on wire racks. Repeat until all dough is used up.
Karen Liburdi05/11/2019 at 11:44 am
I lov Your Recipe’s my Italian Friends always conment on my baking After the children Left home I din’t do a lot of Baking ,,,,, But now I back in the swing of it ,,,,W,,, The Grankids So Thankyou