Sfinges,in Italy called Sfinci are made differently than “zeppole” which is the actual name for fried dough.
But since my Mother always called them Sfinges then that’s what we’re calling them.
Whatever you want to call them, Italian fried dough dipped in sugar is a great little treat for yourself and the kids.
- Basic Pizza Dough
- Enough vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup of sugar
- Roll dough into balls and flatten or roll into long sticks or whatever shape you like as long as they’re not to big eat.Heat oil in a deep fryer to about 350 degrees.
- Test the oil with a piece of dough. It should sizzle and puff up.
- Carefully place the dough in the fryer and fry until golden brown.
- This should only take around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Place the fried dough in a paper bag with sugar and shake until dough is cover.
- Best served while still warm.
In her later years my Mother would use packaged biscuit dough if she didn’t feel like making bread dough.
This worked just fine for a quick fix.