I love one-pan meals. So quick and easy and generally a snap to clean up.
1 ITALIAN SWEET SAUSAGE – out of casing
3 – 4 YUKON GOLD POTATOES – quartered
3 CHICKEN THIGHS -skinless, boneless or bone in and skin on, your favorite
SALT and PEPPER – to taste
3 TBS OLIVE OIL
SPRINKLING OF GARLIC POWDER
1 SMALL ONION – sliced
1 RED or ORANGE BELL PEPPER – sliced
½ CUP CHICKEN BROTH – or more as needed
½ LEMON JUICE
RED PEPPER FLAKES – optional
½ TSP LEMON ZEST
PINCH of DRIED OREGANO – or to taste
- Pour oil into a cast iron skillet or a non-stick skillet and heat.
- Add sausage meat, breaking up into little pieces as it cooks and sear until partly cooked.
- Add potato pieces, a few at a time, add chicken pieces (skin side down if not skinless) and let sauté for a few minutes.
- Season all with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Spread sliced onions and peppers over all and cook covered on medium heat until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Add broth and cook until chicken is done and broth is reduced slightly.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest and stir in.
- The add a pinch of dried oregano and also red pepper flakes, if using.
- Chicken broth will reduce but watch to make sure the pan does not get dry. Usually there is enough liquid in the onions, and peppers so that this doesn’t happen but, just check while it is cooking to be sure.
NOTE: A simple side salad and some crusty Italian bread for sopping and you have a delicious meal.