Rice dishes are common in Italy and Paella is very similar to Risotto. You will find some of the most delicious Paella in Venezia.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 onions – chopped
- 3-4 peppers – yellow, red, orange – chopped
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs italian sausage meat
- 1 cup chopped pancetta
- 1 tsp saffron – soaked in one cup water
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine – something you will enjoy drinking as you are cooking!
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan with a lid, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pancetta and mix in and then add the sausage breaking up any very large lumps.
- Sauté for 10 more minutes.
- When the sausage has cooked for 10 minutes, add the rice, saffron and water, wine and tomatoes.
- Mix all thoroughly and slowly bring to a boil.
- Mix in a little salt and pepper, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- If the rice is not ready and the liquid is absorbed, add a little more wine and/or water and continue to cook.
- Transfer to a low rimmed bowl and serve. All the easier is you are cooking in a paella pan. Then it goes right to table.